- Water and nitrogen management in agricultural systems
- Agricultural and Crop Systems Modelling
- Uncertainties associated with the impact of cropping systems changes. Adaptations
Dr. Miguel Quemada Sáenz-Ballidos
Miguel Quemada Sáenz-Badillos is Professor in the Department of Agricultural Production at the Technical University of Madrid. In the past 20 years, his research has focused on developing water and nitrogen management strategies to maintain the sustainability of farming systems under current and future climatic conditions. He has coordinated several national and international projects and participated in numerous agreements with companies within the agricultural sector. He is coordinator of the Scientific Excellence Network SIRENA and has participated as an expert in different national and international scientific panels.
Main activities of Agricultural Systems (AgSystems) are focuses on the study of agricultural systems and its interaction with the environment. Principal aim is to design strategies or alternative practices to maintain the sustainability of farming systems under current and future climatic conditions. In light of this, the AgSystems develops research projects, both basic and applied research, based on field experiments and mathematical Simulation models.
AgSystems collaborates with private and public entities providing different services, which facilitate knowledge transfer from the University to stakeholders. In the area of cooperation, AgSystems supports projects in agricultural reactivation and strengthening between universities via curriculum and mobility of students and teachers. It also actively participates in the Spanish Research Network of Agriculture for Development. In the area of educational innovation, AgSystems has developed tools to help promoting the use of active teaching methods in the area of plant production. In particular, the group owns two registered tools free to use on request to the IP.
- Ramirez-Garcia, J., Carrillo, J.M., Ruiz, M., Alonso-Ayuso, M., Quemada, M., 2015. Multicriteria decision analysis applied to cover crop species and cultivars selection. Field Crops Research 175, 106-115.
- Ramirez-Garcia, J., Gabriel, J.L., Alonso-Ayuso, M., Quemada, M., 2015. Y Quantitative characterization of five cover crop species. Journal of Agricultural Science 153, 1174-1185.
- Ramirez-Garcia, J., Martens, H.J., Quemada, M., Thorup-Kristensen, K., 2015. Intercropping effect on root growth and nitrogen uptake at different nitrogen levels. Journal of Plant Ecology 8, 380-389.
- Alonso-Ayuso, M., Luis Gabriel, J., Quemada, M., 2014. The Kill Date as a Management Tool for Cover Cropping Success. Plos One 9.
- Quemada, M., Luis Gabriel, J., Zarco-Tejada, P., 2014. Airborne Hyperspectral Images and Ground-Level Optical Sensors As Assessment Tools for Maize Nitrogen Fertilization. Remote Sensing 6, 2940-2962.
- Gabriel, J.L., Vanclooster, M., Quemada, M., 2014. Integrating Water, Nitrogen, and Salinity in Sustainable Irrigated Systems: Cover Crops versus Fallow. Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering 140.
- Soldevilla-Martinez, M., Quemada, M., Lopez-Urrea, R., Munoz-Carpena, R., Lizaso, J.I., 2014. Soil water balance: Comparing two simulation models of different levels of complexity with lysimeter observations. Agricultural Water Management 139, 53-63.
- Sanz-Cobena, A., Garcia-Marco, S., Quemada, M., Gabriel, J.L., Almendros, P., Vallejo, A., 2014. Do cover crops enhance N2O, CO2 or CH4 emissions from soil in Mediterranean arable systems? Science of the Total Environment 466, 164-174.
- Benavente, E., Garcia-Toledano, L., Carrillo, J.M., Quemada, M., 2013. Thermographic imaging: assessment of drought and heat tolerance in Spanish germplasm of Brachypodium distachyon. Four Decades of Progress in Monitoring and Modeling of Processes in the Soil-Plant-Atmosphere System: Applications and Challenges 19, 262-266.
- Gabriel, J.L., Quemada, M., Vansteenkiste, J., Diels, J., Vanclooster, M., 2013. Calibration of WAVE in irrigated maize: fallow vs. cover crops. In: Romano, N., Durso, G., Severino, G., Chirico, G.B., Palladino, M. (Eds.), Four Decades of Progress in Monitoring and Modeling of Processes in the Soil-Plant-Atmosphere System: Applications and Challenges, pp. 785-793.
- Luis Gabriel, J., Garrido, A., Quemada, M., 2013. Cover crops effect on farm benefits and nitrate leaching: Linking economic and environmental analysis. Agricultural Systems 121, 23-32.
- Quemada, M., Baranski, M., Nobel-de Lange, M.N.J., Vallejo, A., Cooper, J.M., 2013. Meta-analysis of strategies to control nitrate leaching in irrigated agricultural systems and their effects on crop yield. Agriculture Ecosystems & Environment 174, 1-10.
- Soldevilla-Martinez, M., Lopez-Urrea, R., Martinez-Molina, L., Quemada, M., Lizaso, J.I., 2013. Improving simulation of soil water balance using lysimeter observations in a semiarid climate. In: Romano, N., Durso, G., Severino, G., Chirico, G.B., Palladino, M. (Eds.), Four Decades of Progress in Monitoring and Modeling of Processes in the Soil-Plant-Atmosphere System: Applications and Challenges, pp. 534-542.
- Soldevilla-Martinez, M., Martin-Lammerding, D., Tenorio, J.L., Walter, I., Quemada, M., Lizaso, J.I., 2013. Simulating improved combinations tillage-rotation under dryland conditions. Spanish Journal of Agricultural Research 11, 820-832.
- Gabriel, J.L., Munoz-Carpena, R., Quemada, M., 2012. The role of cover crops in irrigated systems: Water balance, nitrate leaching and soil mineral nitrogen accumulation. Agriculture Ecosystems & Environment 155, 50-61.
- Ramirez-Garcia, J., Almendros, P., Quemada, M., 2012. Ground cover and leaf area index relationship in a grass, legume and crucifer crop. Plant Soil and Environment 58, 385-390.
- Gabriel, J.L., Quemada, M., 2011. Replacing bare fallow with cover crops in a maize cropping system: Yield, N uptake and fertiliser fate. European Journal of Agronomy 34, 133-143.
- Ramirez, M., Pujola, M., Quemada, M., Jarauta-Bragulat, E., Bonmati, A., Comas, J., 2011. Soil Nitrogen Availability after Addition of Thermally Dried Pig Slurry. Soil Science Society of America Journal 75, 940-948.
- Ruiz-Ramos, M., Gabriel, J.L., Vazquez, N., Quemada, M., 2011. Evaluation of nitrate leaching in a vulnerable zone: effect of irrigation water and organic manure application. Spanish Journal of Agricultural Research 9, 924-937.
- Luis Gabriel, J., Lizaso, J.I., Quemada, M., 2010. Laboratory versus Field Calibration of Capacitance Probes. Soil Science Society of America Journal 74, 593-601.